Alex is a Partner in Thomas Mansfield’s employment team. He advises employers and senior executives on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law, with a particular focus on Employment Tribunal claims and redundancy.
Alex specialises in providing strategic and operational employment law and HR advice to businesses. Whether assisting on day-to-day issues or protecting a client’s interests in the course of Employment Tribunal litigation, his client’s commercial objectives remain at the forefront of his approach. Alex has a strong track record of working closely with small and medium sized employers across a range of industries, including professional services, construction and care homes.
Alex qualified as a solicitor in 2012 and is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association. He is ranked as an “up and coming” employment law specialist in the latest edition of Chambers UK. He regularly has articles published in the legal press and has commented in the national media.
Alex lives in Sussex with his family. In his spare time, he is kept on his toes by his two young children whilst attempting to progress the renovation his house and tending to his small veg plot.
Areas of expertise include:
- Defending Employment Tribunal claims
- Advising on disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Strategic planning and implementation of redundancy procedures
- Drafting contractual documents and policies
- Variation of contracts and related disputes
- Best practice recruitment and dismissal procedures, along with connected disputes
- Transfer of undertakings (TUPE) and employment law aspects of business acquisitions/sales
- Advice and disputes involving the employment status of employees, workers, and self-employed/contractors/freelance workers
- The employment implication of off payroll working and IR35
- The management of employee performance and capability issues
- Assistance with business immigration e.g., the obtaining of worker visas
- Best practice risk management and dispute avoidance
- Director and shareholder disputes
- Restrictive covenants, post termination restrictions, including their drafting, enforcement and connected injunctive actions.
- Settlement negotiation and agreements
- Working time, holiday pay and minimum wage advice
- Advising on unfair dismissal, discrimination, whistleblowing and related claims
- Pay, contractual and bonus disputes
- Executive and director level terminations and negotiations
- Advising on contracts and restrictive covenants
- Advising contractors, freelancers and the self employed on status and its implications
- Redundancy disputes, TUPE, and working time disputes
- Negotiation and the content of settlement agreements
- Pursuing Employment Tribunal claims.
- Planning, managing and implementing a company wide restructure and redundancy process for a homebuilder
- Advising an international company on the exit of a senior executive Director involving several jurisdictions
- Negotiating the settlement of an executive director’s seven figure settlement sum and shareholding sale
- Implementing an updating contract and variation of terms for a large care home
- Successfully defending a complex unfair dismissal claim for a state School.
“Alex…did a great job for us…Alex was able to guide us so that we acted legally but in a friendly fashion. He was able to get the balance right between being friendly and being protected. So many lawyers only speak legalese, but Alex was able to help us avoid that.”
- The Law Society
- Employment Lawyers Association
- School Governor